Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Graphic Design Semester Final 2018


What we did?

Personal Branding

The first project we did this semester was the Personal Branding project. The project was to create business cards, a resume, letterhead, and envelope, all representing ourselves. The project took about 2 and a half months to make. It took that long because we needed to perfect this project, as it would be shown at Senior Show. Some of the challenges I faced in doing this project were coming up with a logo that looked like me and executing that idea. Along the way, I learned how to lock the stroke, which was very helpful! Some of the feedback I was given was to push myself more and make it look like me and so I changed it a lot from the beginning. I changed it to make it look more artsy because I enjoy other arts. My overall opinion on the design process of this project was that I believe it helped a lot with getting to know what the real world is like. And the way people help each other and collaborate to make better designs.

Fictional Company

For this project we were to create a fictional company that provided a service. I chose to do personal training. We were to make a brochure, poster, newspaper ad, magazine cover, and web ads. This project took just under a month to make. Some of the challenges for me in this project was trying not to make it look too similar to the non-profit project last year. Along the way, I learned that time management is very much important and that things can't be put off until the day before the deadline. Some feedback I was given was to incorporate the symbol from my logo to more places in the brochure and poster. I ended up changing that and adding to a few different places. My overall opinion of this project was that it was not a challenge, but it was still fun. Also, it was very similar to a project we did last year.

Colorado Mission Trip T-Shirt

This was an outside project that my youth minister assigned me. I was to create a design for the front of a t-shirt. This project took me about 2 weeks. Some challenges I faced were being original and not taking ideas from past t-shirts. I learned how to better communicate with a client through this project. Some feedback I was given was to add the "Missions" logo to my design. I added it and tucked in nicely inside the logo design. My overall opinion of this project was that it was fun and I thought it was really cool that he would use my design for this shirt.

Time in class?

I have used my time in class efficiently in a way that I can accomplish my due dates and still enjoy the time with my classmates. In times that I finished early I would either work on an outside project or start posting on Behance. Other times I would try to find examples of the same project and see how I can better mine. Outside of class, I take on extra projects and do some sketching for those.

Areas of strength?

My areas of strength in graphic design are probably meeting deadlines and making sure my portfolio is up to date. I maximize these strengths by either getting to school early to complete a project or coming in during my lunch time.

Improvement?

I need to improve in making my designs a variety of different styles. Currently, a lot of my designs have a very simplistic and modern feel. To improve in this I can take on different types of projects rather than the ones I have.

Summary

What I love most about this semester was coming together as a class. I feel like we collaborated better and really got to know each other. Something I would change is the amount of time I spent on the Fictional Company project. I think if I had put more time into it it would've turned out better. My overall takeaway from this semester is to keep pushing even if a design isn't the way you want it, just take a step back and get others' opinions. Next semester, in collage, my goal is to meet new people! I won't be in graphic design anymore but maybe I will do a project here and there. I had a great senior year and I am going to miss my fellow designers!

No comments:

Post a Comment